Proyecto mARTadero - Bolivia
As a comprehensive project for the development of arts and culture towards social change, we work for social development through art and culture, doing so through 7 areas of artistic creation and 7 social development programs, both based on 7 principles: seven maxims founded upon the clear objectives of innovation, research, experimentation, whilst promoting conceptual and formal stringency, integration, exchange and interculturality as the criteria to be applied to all the proposals that are generated, supported or organized by the project. These principles convey the project’s core values and communicate our belief in the potential for creating a better future.
Identification Operation Process Organisation
- Place name Proyecto mARTadero
- ContinentSouth America
- Regional Emsemble Cochabamba
- Region Cochabamba
- City / TownCochabamba
- AdressEx Matadero, 27 de agosto y Ollantay
- Telephone(+591) (4) 458 87 78
- General Emailinfo@martadero.org
- Web sitewww.martadero.org
- Person(s) in charge Project generated by N.A.D.A. And managed by Fundación Imagen
Last update: 15 August 2012
- Name of the legal structureNon profit association
- Legal statute Association
- Creation date of the legal structure 2004
- Current ownerN.A.D.A. (Nodo Asociativo para el Desarrollo de las Artes)
- Nature of the current property Leased to a not-for-profit association of the third sector for the purposes and accomplishment of the project.
- Terms of occupation Lease by the Public Administration to N.A.D.A.
- Team - Organization Director: Fernando García
Projects Coodinator: Neyda Campos
Space Administrator: Juan Malebrán.
Artistic Activity Programmer: Claudia Michel.
Communication Coordinator: Daniel Cotillas Ruiz
Visual arts and photography: Stacie Prado y Lucía Palenque Literature: Juan Malebrán
Performing arts: Stacie Prado
Graphic design and architecture: Eliana Ramírez
Media: Bernard Marinovitch
Music: Diego Arandia
Social interaction: Susana Obando
formARTe: Raisa Valda Ampuero
Free expression and environmental education children’s workshop: Pamela Díaz
Urban action (art square and art walk: Simone Rinaldi
Cultural policies and networks, Artistic and cultural business incubator: Ekatarina Gómez
Artist Residence Program Coordinator: Sandra De Berduccy.
- Method of organization - Governance N.A.D.A. creates an annual assembly where the President of the association and the Director of mARTadero is chosen. The work of Proyecto mARTadero operates through an inter-institutional Fundación Imagen convention. The structure and the decision-making in Fundación Imagen, and therefore proyecto mARTadero, are multilateral and collaborative.
- Evaluation Project Every two weeks there is a group meeting to evaluate the work which has been done and the work that is yet to be done. Also, every year we create a brochure in which all of the actions and projects of Proyecto mARTadero are mentioned and evaluated.
- Statement of the current project Art and culture for social change.
- Genesis - History - Identity The architectural space of the former slaughterhouse: 3,000 m² built in 1924, with its striking traditional character- and which currently awaits official designation as a local heritage site- expresses the yearning for progress which is typical of the turn of the century´s industrial architecture. It was a slaughterhouse until 1992 and since then it has had many different uses- as a school, and as sport facility, for example- before it was finally abandoned. In 2004, with the emergence of N.A.D.A. and the initiation of proyect mARTadero, this site has become a unique, flexible and well-defined space; one which is decentralized, & socially and geographically strategic, in keeping with the logic and the needs of emerging art forms. It has been lent for use for 30 years to NADA for the self-managed development of the project.
- work - artistic , cultural and social practices - Disciplines As a comprehensive project for the development of arts and culture towards social change, we work for social development through art and culture, doing so through 7 areas of artistic creation and 7 social development programs, both based on 7 principles.
The principles: seven maxims founded upon the clear objectives of innovation, research, experimentation, whilst promoting conceptual and formal stringency, integration, exchange and interculturality as the criteria to be applied to all the proposals that are generated, supported or organized by the project. These principles convey the project’s core values and communicate our belief in the potential for creating a better future.
The 7 artistic creation areas: visual arts and photography, literature, performing arts (such as theatre and dance), graphic design and architecture, media, music, social interaction.
The 7 social development programs: Free expression and environmental education children’s workshop, formARTe, Urban action (art square and art walk), Alive and green, Prana Art Residencies, Cultural policies and networks, Artistic and cultural business incubator.
- cultural Action (s) of territory - Co-production (s) with populations The spectrum of cultural activity at Proyecto mARTadero is very broad. We have close contact with the people and associations of the neighbourhood Villa Coronilla in which we are situated, and we also have good relationships with schools, universities, national and international projects and other such diverse networks.
- Artists (s) & / or team (s) associated One of our Developmet Projects is prAna Art Residences (email@example.com). We make sure the artists are well taken care of accompany them as they encounter Bolivian culture.
- short & medium duration Residence(s) PRANA (Program of Artistic Residencies of NADA) is a program based on the rooms built in our space, proposed by Fundación Imagen and with the collaboration of the Embassy of the Netherlands. Resident artists and cultural managers have one to four weeks (in the case of national artists) and four to eight weeks (international artists) to produce a work. The proposal –either physical or process-based- must contribute to the neighbourhood of Villa Coronilla or the city of Cochabamba, generating social interaction between citizens and the artist’s work.
The idea is to conceive of artistic projects pertinent to the place, which can be carried out during the stay and that incorporate local elements, allowing interaction with it. The hosting centre, through foundations, will take care of raising the funds for the material and the equipment necessary for producing the work.
• There is a maximum capacity of 8 persons (4 in each room) in PRANA-North and 6 in PRANA-South, which makes a total of 14.
• Artists and managers who come with residency programs will have priority over other guests.
• Artists interested in staying as independents, outside of residency programs, will also have the possibility of participating.
- Principal direct partner(s) , public & private Managed by Fundación Imagen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Partners that currently offer support:
- Organisational enforcement of the operating team
- Breeding place of artistic-creative plans
- A variety of cultural activities
- Social interaction
Eje Central-AECID (2012):
- Strategies for inclusion through urban activity
Partners that helped us in the past:
The Embassy of the Netherlands (2010-2011):
- Arrangement of the artistic residencies
- Renovation & water-proofing of open-air room for performing arts
- Also, support in enforcing the operating team
- Support of the person in charge of the Political Cultures program during 6 months
- Replacement of the roof tiles of the administrative building
- Arrangement of the workshop-rooms
- Technical equipment for formation workshops
The Embassy of Canada (2008-2009-FCCIL):
- Arrangement of the workshop for children’s creativity, the ecological garden and educational materials
Lucía Grossberger (2008-2009):
- Donation of computers for the Digital Lab
- Arrangement of the supervision zone and 4 computers
The Embassy of Germany (2006-2007):
Partners that help us vitalize the space we work in:
Residencias en Red
Partners that bring us volunteers:
Universidad de Valladolid
- Spatial current organisation All the information about the space in the next link: http://www.martadero.org/espacio-cultural/espacio.html
- Former useSlaughterhouse
- Foundation's year of the original building1924
- Establishment's date of cultural activity2005