Mobility fund of artists and cultural operators within the African continent
Art Moves Africa (AMA) aims to facilitate cultural and artistic exchanges within the African continent. AMA offers travel funds to artists, arts professionals and cultural operators living and working in Africa to travel within and between the five African regions in order to engage in the exchange of information, the enhancement of skills, the development of informal networks and the pursuit of cooperation.
Geographical area of focus: Art Moves Africa supports all artists and cultural operators living and working in Africa for travels within and between the African regions. These regions are
Central Africa: Angola, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo Brazzaville, Congo Kinshasa, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Rwanda, Sao Tomé and Principé East Africa : Comoros, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Mauritius, Seychelles, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda Southern Africa: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe West Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo North Africa: Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia.
To request a travel support, applicants must fill in an application form and explain the objectives of their travel. This application form has to be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send any other attachments.
Once every four months, a selection committee reviews and selects the applications. The committee is composed of professionals working in the cultural sector in Africa, with knowledge of diverse artistic fields in the different regions. The applications are evaluated based on their individual merits but referring to established criteria (see below). The applicants are replied to after six weeks of the deadline.
Art Moves Africa supports the costs of travel, visa and travel insurance for the duration of stay. AMA will not support fees, accommodations, or per-diem.
Art Moves Africa supports the travel of artists and cultural professionals working in the following artistic fields:
Art Moves Africa allocates 60 % of its annual travel support to artists and cultural professionals traveling from one region to the other, 40% are made accessible to travel within the same region.
Art Moves Africa encourages participation at any event which enables:
Collaborations with other professionals
Exchange of information and activities
Elaboration of projects, practices and ideas
Improvement of artistic or technical skills
Discovery of different artistic fields through: cultural professional network meetings, festivals, artists’ residencies, workshops, seminars, lectures, work sessions ...
Artists to demonstrate the long term effect of their project
Artists to share their experience by encouraging networking in their own country
Professionals seeking wider access to international networks to enhance their careers.
Due to limited funding Art Moves Africa cannot support:
More than one trip per year per person
Travel within the same country
Travel for big productions (rehearsals ...)
Touring of big companies (performances during a festival or a theatre season, touring of shows). Only small scale performances (maximum three people) will be able to apply for travel support
Professionals travelling on behalf of governmental institutions, highly established organisations, or commercial companies
Academic research and training
Fulltime students and amateurs.
If an application has been selected for support, the applicant will be asked to sign a contract with the Fund. After the contract has been signed, the money will be transferred to the applicant’s bank account. Stipulated in the contract is an agreement that obliges applicants upon return to the resident country to send receipts of all expenses of their trip to AMA’s office and write a short report about the experience. Some of these reports will be placed on AMA’s website to present them to a wider audience and showcase personal stories and experiences. Adherence to contract obligations is considered an important criterion when reviewing future applications by individuals who were previously accepted for support.
Art Moves Africa encourages individuals to continue applying even if previously rejected.
1st of January
1st of May
1st of September
As a rule, specified projects should begin at least nine weeks after the announced deadline. Applications which do not observe this rule will be automatically disqualified from the selection process.
If you have further questions, please contact
Khadija El Bennaoui, email@example.com
Young Arab Theatre Fund a.i.s.b.l.
19 Square Sainctelette, 1000 Brussels, Belgium
tel + fax: +32-2-203.12.95